By Annie Peterson | Editor, Civil Patriot
Remember, as a kid, how you would get rowdy with your siblings or friends? Mom would put up with it for a while, but would eventually put her finger to her pursed lips and say, “Hush, now! I can’t hear myself think!” If you were from the south, she might’ve phrased it this way: “Hush your mouth, kids!”
You would quiet down for a bit, but couldn’t control yourself for long. The temptation to chatter was just too much to bear. So, off you would go, as loud as ever. And you would usually end in banished to your room, alone to think about what you’d done.
These days, Mom’s voice has been replaced by the Liberal Left. Whenever you get too boisterous, they put a proverbial finger to their lips and say, “Hush your mouth! You’re spouting your beliefs a little too loud for our liking and we can’t have that!”
So, you pipe down for a while. You play along. But, in your gut it feels wrong. If you don’t speak up, who will? Eventually, you square your shoulders and try again, only to have your voice squelched once more. You’re banished to your room to pay for your sins.
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.
The problem with the “Hush your mouth!” crowd is that they think they can control every arena of our lives. It’s not just Twitter, YouTube, or Facebook trying to censor us. If you really stop to think about it, you will realize the Left started censoring us years ago. To censor, after all, is simply to suppress. And that’s what they’ve been doing all along.
Don’t believe it? Check this out:
- In public schools, we’ve been censored from praying.
- In the public square, we’ve been censored from posting the Ten Commandments or Nativity scenes.
- At abortion clinics many pro-lifers have been censored from protesting or counseling.
- In colleges, conservatives have been censored and bullied in the classroom—often by their professors.
- Likewise, conservative professors are finding it impossible to maintain their jobs in the university setting.
- In the media, conservatives have been slowly pushed to the fringes, leaving only alternative platforms to speak their truth.
- Many conservative writers struggle to find publishers who will allow them to write historicals that actually line up with (real/accurate) history.
- Trump supporters worry about putting signs in their yard during the election cycle, for fear they will come under attack.
- Many from the Left try to censor Patriots from flying the American flag, as if the stars and stripes somehow represent conservativism instead of simple patriotism.
- Conservative businesses have been censored—many completely destroyed—by vicious activists.
- Conservative public school students are censored by their peers, often attacked physically.
- The IRS has censored religious and conservative 501c3s.
- Conservatives have been shut down on Big Tech sites.
- Pastors have been censored by (sometimes) well-meaning parishioners (or outsiders) who don’t want biblical truth to be presented because it might offend someone.
- Humanity, at large, has been censored from stating any opinions about COVID-19 that go against the narrative, (which seems to fluctuate from day to day).
- And, of course, monuments of some of our country’s greatest heroes have been toppled—censored, as if they were living breathing things.
When you look at this list, how does it make you feel? With each passing year conservatives are stripped of more God-given rights by folks telling them to hush.
Perhaps the next time you’re censored on social media—the next time you’re told, “Well, we have a good reason to keep this post from being seen by your friends and loved ones,” you should pause for a moment and ask yourself, “What will they censor next? Today it’s my words. Tomorrow it might be my business, my church, or my very life.”
Maybe it’s time to look those censors in the eye and say, “Hush your mouth. I’ll go right on living my life as I see fit.”