Brock Benson | Civil Patriot
The final hours of President Trump’s term are winding down and he’s just released the list of 143 presidential pardons and commutations.
On the List:
- Steve Bannon: Perhaps the most notable name on the list (and the one sure to raise a few eyebrows), Trump’s former White House Chief Strategist, who was accused of (allegedly) defrauded Trump-supporting donors of over a million dollars as part of a crowdfunding effort to build the president’s border wall. Bannon and Trump have recently reconciled.
- Elliot Broidy: Republican fundraiser who pled guilty to acting as an unregistered foreign agent while accepting money from Malaysian and Chinese interests to lobby the Trump administration.
- Rick Renzi of Arizona, convicted in 2013 of extortion, bribery, insurance fraud, money laundering, and racketeering. Former Republican House member, Renzi left prison in 2017.
- Randall “Duke” Cunningham, (Former R-Calif.), served eight years in prison for charges of bribery, fraud, and tax evasion, released in 2013.
- Lil Wayne: pro-Trump rapper who pled guilty in December to felony gun possession while on parole
- Kodak Black: arrested in 2019 on federal weapons charge
- Kwame Kilpatrick: former mayor of Detroit, sentenced to nearly 30 years in prison on corruption charges.
These pardons come on the heels of several pardons and clemencies offered in recent days to familiar Trump allies like Michael Flynn, Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and Charles Kushner.
“Will Trump pardon himself?” people have asked.
I hope you will forgive my eye-roll as I respond with the only words that come to mind: “For what?”